Print Bookmark

Notes


Matches 301 to 322 of 322

      «Prev «1 ... 3 4 5 6 7

 #   Notes   Linked to 
301 Venn, J. A., comp., Alumni Cantabrigienses, London, England: Cambridge University Press, 1922-1954 Source (S004980)
 
302 well known for his endeavours to accomplish a union between the Lutheran and other reformed churches, author of various works, born at Edinburgh 1596, died at Cassel 28th Sept. 16 DURIE, John (I08580)
 
303 who served heir, 23 October 1661, had the collections of 11th and 18th April 1660 from the Session of West Calder given to him and two of his comrades on their return from captivity among the Turks at Algiers. DURIE, John (I01694)
 
304 William applied for conditional purchase of 320 acres of land at Pokolbin on 31.7.1890 at 1 Pound / acre. The 1st vineyard was established at "Oakvale" in 1893, and stayed in the family until 1934. ELLIOTT, William (I11868)
 
305 William DURIE, depute bailie of the Regality, and his wife, Jonet Gourlay, had a quarter of the lands of Newlands and the lands of Medow End (between Craigs Farm and Galorig). They had also certain lands lying to the north of the Hospitium of St Catherine.
(R.M.S. 4th March 1579). [The Regality of D'Line Court Book, by J. M. Webster P.175]  
DURIE, Wilzem (I02050)
 
306 William George Tunstall b. 1857 Darlington married Henrietta Ridout in London and moved to Mere in Wiltshire where his children were born. He lived in Castle st. and was a bacon curer. In 1909 the whole family sailed to Kenya. He died in 1916 and is buried in Nairobi. TUNSTALL, William George (I11224)
 
307 William Gilliat was a grazier in Lincolnshire at Scrivelsby probably lived at the Old Vicarage Homestead. Second wife Elizabeth Taylor from Horncastle. They had 11 children. William's wealth grew in 18c. with wool. At his death William left several thousand pounds plus a farm at Coningsby. He is buried at Scrivelsby. Family legend says that Gilliat's were french origin possibly Huguenots. GILLIAT, John (I10548)
 
308 William Jolly Barrister. JOLLY, William Arnold (I11504)
 
309 William Joseph Skerrett J>P> & High Sherriff Co. Clkare in 1843 landowner Finavarra. Cty Clare see Griffiths valuations of land 1848-64. See also evidence on famine relief papers. Buried in family tomb in Corcomroe Abbey. SKERRETT, JP William Joseph (I11058)
 
310 William Skerrett JP. Captain 36th Regt. SKERRETT, William Patrick (I11028)
 
311 William Smith DURIE, born 1813 in Gibraltar, died on 03 06 1885 in Toronto (Ontario, Can.). William Smith went to the Royal Military College in Sandhurst in November 1828.
"Royal Military Colleob.?At a Collegiate Board, held for the Half-yearly Public Examinations, on the 8th and 9th of December, 1834, Gentleman Cadet William S. DURIE being qualified, according to the prescribed Rules of the Royal Military College, to hold a Commission in His Majesty's Service, and having accordingly, on passing five Public Examinations, been recommended for the same, and having, over and above the required qualifications, made such further progress in his .studies as, by the rules of the Establishment, entitles him to a certificate recording the special approbation of the Commissioners, we, the Commissioners and Members of the Board, are of opinion that Gentleman Cadet William S. DURIE is worthy of this honourable distinction and do grant him our Certificate accordingly.
" (Signed) Edward Pagot, Gen.
Monnasel Douglas, Maj.-Gen.
J. Gardiner, Maj.
G. SiNCH, Adjt"

His first commission (1832) was as an Ensign in the 6th/ 1st Warwickshire Regiment of Foot. He was then appointed Lieutenant in the 94th Regiment of Foot (May 1835), Lieutenant 83rd Regiment of Foot (1837) and then Adjutant with the rank of Captain in the Militia of Canada (1838).

His career in the Militia:
December 1855: Captain, Volunteer Militia Rifle Company, Barrie
April 1857: Liet. Colonel, Militia Force of Canada
October 1860: Liet. Col., 2nd Batt. Volunteer Rifles of Canada.

He retired as a Colonel in 1881 and died at his residence Spadina Road, Toronto.

The area in Toronto which is no wknown as Bloor West Village were once the lands of William Smith DURIE (until at some time the area was developed in the 1850's).

DURIE, WILLIAM SMITH, militia officer; b. in 1813 at Gibraltar, son of William H. DURIE, an army surgeon, and Helena Lee, sister of Sir Francis Lee; he and his wife Anna had one son and daughter; d. 3 June 1885 at Toronto, Ont.
William Smith DURIE graduated from the Royal Military College, Sandhurst, England, in 1828. He was commissioned ensign in the 94th Foot on 20 Jan. 1832 and transferred to the 83rd Foot on 11 Aug. 1837 when it was ordered to Canada. On 18 May 1838 he obtained permission to sell his lieutenants commission on the grounds of ill health. He received a largely honorific commission as captain in the sedentary Canadian militia on 28 Nov. 1838.
After serving in Canada, Duries father had retired from the army and as an assistant inspector of hospitals on 14 June 1836. He obtained land grants in Upper Canada in the townships of Collingwood, Sunnidale, and Plympton in recognition of his rank and his 38 years of service. From 1838 to 1855 William Smith DURIE lived in Thornhill, Toronto, and Barrie, presumably managing his own land and that of his father, but little is known of his life in these years. In 1856 he was affluent enough to own a schooner valued at 300 which he docked on Lake Simcoe.
In 1855 DURIE had resumed more active military life as captain of the Barrie Rifle Company, an early unit in Canadas new volunteer militia. Inspired by the military excitement of the Crimean War and modelled on militia systems in some American states, the volunteer units were expected to fulfil a police role. In September 1856 DURIE and 20 of his men rushed to Collingwood when sailors rescued a comrade from the authorities. The sailors escaped on their vessel but DURIE and his men received official thanks for their efforts. Because of his seniority DURIE was promoted lieutenant colonel on 11 Dec. 1856.
That year, in preparation for the visit of the Prince of Wales, militia companies in Montreal and Toronto were formed into battalions. DURIE assumed command of the Toronto corps which included companies in Barrie and Whitby as well as six in Toronto (two of which wore Highland dress). Since companies elected their own officers and purchased their own uniforms and equipment, DURIE needed tact and patience as well as military experience to unify his command. The unit, created 26 April 1860, was first known as the 2nd Battalion Volunteer Militia Rifles; DURIE secured the title 2nd Battalion, Queens Own Rifles of Toronto on 18 March 1863. He drafted standing orders, badgered authorities for a drill shed, which was completed in June 1864, and struggled to standardize uniforms and arms. The result was probably the best organized militia unit in Canada.
Duries task was made easier by the recurrent alarms of the 1860s, from the Trent affair to the Fenian raids. In the winter of 1864 65 he was chosen to command a battalion of embodied militia at Niagara on the Lake. His success as an administrator and disciplinarian helped to win him the appointment of assistant adjutant general for Canada West on 15 Nov. 1865. He did not formally relinquish command of the Queens Own until 14 Sept. 1866 but he was performing only staff duties in Toronto when the battalion was part of the militia force under Alfred Booker* which suffered a humiliating defeat by the Fenians at Ridgeway on 2 June 1866.
In the post confederation militia, DURIE was appointed deputy adjutant general for the 2nd Military District which included Toronto, Hamilton, and central Ontario. This area had a heartier appetite for patriotic military activity than did most other parts of Canada, and whereas many staff officers treated their positions as sinecures DURIE was regarded as conscientious and popular. In 1871 he was almost alone among militia staff officers in urging that the volunteer system remain the basis for recruiting: "The record of the past shows that the existing force has cheerfully met all the active service duties required of it and that, too, with no ordinary sacrifice to a large proportion of the members composing the force."
Duries own zest for service had to be satisfied by commanding the militia during disturbances at Toronto in the fall of 1875, known as the "Jubilee Riots," when Protestant roughnecks attacked Catholic processions on two successive Sundays, and also by participation in an expedition by part of his old regiment to Belleville in early January 1877 to oppose the striking locomotive engineers of the Grand Trunk Railway. In 1880, over his bitter objections, he was superannuated at the age of 67 with two years pay but without a pension. Four years later, the old soldier was father to a daughter.
At some sacrifice to his private fortune, DURIE showed that Canadas volunteer militia system could work but that it would depend on the willing sacrifice of a minority. In the Queens Own Rifles he gave the volunteers a model unit.
DESMOND MORTON  
DURIE, William Smith (I04073)
 
312 At least one living or private individual is linked to this note - Details withheld. DURIE, William Harold (I12039)
 
313 At least one living or private individual is linked to this note - Details withheld. DURIE, Winifred Evelyn (I12367)
 
314 Worked with family firm of Smith Brothers- visited Russia in the early 1820's and moved from the silk industry to cotton merchant in Manchester in 1820's. Later moved to the Oaks, Epsom and became gentleman farmer. After the death of his brother Frederick who had set up the family business in Charleston virtually adoptd his nephew Benjamin.Red curly hair. Third son. SMITH, Joseph (I10164)
 
315 Writer on colonisation in North America.
In 1685 Scot published at Edinburgh The Model of the Government of the Province of East New Jersey, in America; and Encouragement for such as design to be concerned there.
Scot was a Covenanter, and was fined and imprisoned in 1674. In 1676 further charges were laid against Scot and his wife; and in 1677, having failed to appear when summoned by the Scottish council, he was declared a fugitive. He was arrested in Edinburgh. Imprisoned on Bass Rock, he was released later in the year on bond.
He spent time in London, where he made contact with Scots planning colonial projects; and was imprisoned again. Released in 1684, he put together a colonisation scheme, involving the preacher Archibald Riddell who was one of his wife's relations, and lacking other support, a group of Covenanters being held in Dunnottar Castle. In recognition of his services as a writer, Scot received from the proprietors of East New Jersey a grant, dated 28 July 1685, of five hundred acres of land in the province.
On 1 August Scot embarked in the Henry and Francis with nearly two hundred others, including his wife and family; but he and his wife died on the voyage.
Scot married in 1663 Margaret, daughter of William Rigg of Aithernie.[2]

A son and a daughter survived the Atlantic voyage. The latter, Euphaim, married in 1686, John Johnstone, an Edinburgh druggist, who had been one of her fellow-passengers on the voyage to New Jersey. To him the proprietors issued, on 13 January 1687, a confirmation of the grant made to Scot.

Scot's descendants occupied a position in the colony until the American Revolution. At that point most left as Loyalists, but some remained. 
SCOTT, George (I04825)
 
316 Yorkshire Parish Records, West Yorkshire Archive Service: Leeds, England Source (S039052)
 
317 Youngest daughter of Captain Andrew Creagh. CREAGH, Jane (I10129)
 
318 [Alexander DURIE descendants 2006-10-11.FTW]

[Cutland.FTW]

Marriage Index: 1837-1983 > 1871 > Q1-Jan-Feb-Mar > C Bideford 5b 824

Name: Richard Cutland
Year of Registration: 1871
Quarter of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar
District: Bideford County: Devon Volume: 5b Page: 824

Name: Elizabeth Bennett
Year of Registration: 1871
Quarter of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar
District: Bideford County: Devon Volume: 5b Page: 824


DEATH
Name: Richard Cutland
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1849
Year of Registration: 1901
Quarter of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec
Age at death: 52
District: Barnstaple County: Devon Volume: 5b Page: 280 
CUTLAND, Richard (I03652)
 
319 [Alexander DURIE descendants 2006-10-11.FTW]

[Cutland.FTW]

TALATON

A parish in Hayridge Hundred, and the Archdeaconry and Diocese of Exeter. Part is now included in the modern parish of Escot (1840).

"TALATON, or Tallaton, a village on a northern declivity, 3? miles N.W. of Ottery St. Mary, and 11 miles N.E. of Exeter, has in its parish 462 souls, and about 2250 acres of land, rising to a bold eminence, which overlooks the Otter valley, and including 140A. of waste, and the hamlets of Larkbeare, Escot, Talewater, and Fairmile, and several scattered houses. Sir John Kennaway, Bart., is lord of the manor and owner of a great part of the soil, and has a handsome seat here, called Escot House, built on the site of the old mansion, which was erected about 1688, and was destroyed by fire, on Dec. 28th, 1808, . . . J.P. Mathew, Esq., owns part of the parish, and resides at Ridon House; and Mr. R. Pratt and a few smaller freeholders have estates here. The Church (St. James,) has a tower and five bells, and contains a rich screen, and some memorials of the Eveleigh and other families. The rectory, valued in K.B. at ?32. 3s. 1?d., and in 1831 at ?581, is in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. L.P. Welland, who has 62A. 1R. 1P. of glebe, and a rent-charge in lieu of tithes. . . ." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)] 
PRING, Lucy (I03629)
 
320 [Alexander DURIE descendants 2006-10-11.FTW]

[Cutland.FTW]

WESTLEIGH

A parish in Fremington Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Barnstaple and the Diocese of Exeter.

"LEIGH, (WEST) a village and parish, on the east side of the estuary of the Torridge, 2 miles N. by E. of Bideford, has 526 inhabitants, and 2456 acres of land, including East Leigh and Southcott hamlets, and many scattered houses. Mrs. Torr, of Torville, is lady of the manor of West Leigh, and owner of the Barton of East Leigh. Tapley, or Taplegh, a handsome mansion, with tasteful grounds, is the seat of Mrs. Clevland, and belongs to her son, Archibald Clevland, a minor. L.W. Buck, Esq., and several smaller owners, have estates in the parish. The Church (St. Peter,) is an ancient structure, and the living is a vicarage, valued in K.B. at ?8. 2s. 1d., and in 1831 at ?170, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Exeter. The Rev. D. Lang, B.A., is the incumbent, and has a neat residence, erected in 1837, and 45A. of glebe. The Wesleyans have a chapel here, built in 1841. . . " [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)] 
CUTLAND, John (I03628)
 
321 [John D DURIE 1920.FTW]

Joyce the youngest child,was a nurse who traveled all over the
World,returning home to Barry,to care for my grandfather when he was
elderly.He died in the 1970`s.Joyce married late in life she still remains
in Barry,a widow with no children. 
DURIE, Joyce (I03457)
 
322 [John D DURIE 1920.FTW]

remained unmarried
had a career working in Embassies all around the world
died recently without issue. 
DURIE, Marion (I03456)
 

      «Prev «1 ... 3 4 5 6 7


This site powered by The Next Generation of Genealogy Sitebuilding ©, v. 12.0, written by Darrin Lythgoe 2001-2021.

Maintained by Bruce.